Jul 29, 2009

Thunderstorm As Comfort


I love a good thunderstorm. I love when a storm is brewing and everyone rushes to get patio furniture covered and the bikes put in the garage and the beach towels off the clothesline. It's like you go about your daily life, then all of a sudden the weather reminds you of its presence and demands some attention.

I love thunderstorms because they are what I consider "safe danger". They're not like tornadoes where you're not sure if you will lose your roof or if a tree will down your power lines for the next three days. I'm sure one of the reasons I have such an affinity is as a child, I would feel super loved when the sky started to threaten a summer day. Mom and dad would make sure my sister and I were close, and we would sit together on our screened in porch and feel the temperature drop and the wind would howl and the cold, fat drops would shock our arms and feet. It felt like the world stopped and we would just watch the weather like a movie.

Are summer storms friend or foe for you? Do tell!

1 comment:

  1. I love thunderstorms! We never get them in Southern California. I was in Mammoth last weekend and we were hopefully going to get them, but we didn't. It's something about the sudden change in weather that is exciting!

    ReplyDelete